Thursday, March 4, 2010

Where's Brad?


So I am writing this post as I am eating dinner by myself again. I made Brad's favorite dinner and had to put his portion on a plate with aluminum foil over it for him to eat later. This is our first year of Brad working full time. Being a tax accountant in a big firm means that you pretty much live at the office starting sometime in February through April 15ish. We knew it was coming. I am just glad that Maggie was not born during this crazy time. I don't know what I would do. Luckily, Maggie is almost 3 months old and this week she is finally getting back on some sort of a schedule. So Maggie and I hang out all day together. Today we both took naps , read books, watched Gilmore Girls, watched Baby Bach, played with toys, and sang songs. Good day. I'm glad she is finally cooing and talking back to me. We are pretty much best friends.

I have had some exciting discoveries this week. 1. Food freezes well. I can make a double batch of some meals and we can eat them later. Genius. I am prepping a lot of food for Brad while I'm gone. 2. Meijer Grocery Express . I think I will be using this every tax season. Only bummer- they don't accept coupons. 3. I like to read. I never thought I was a "reader." But now that I am out of school, I have been reading books and loving it! I just finished Catching Fire, the sequel to the Hunger Games. I have really enjoyed this series- A fast, intriguing read.

With Brad gone so much, I have gotten a lot of things done. I clean more. But we miss him. We think he is awesome for working hard for us. Maggie loves talking to him when he gets home. It's sad- today he will get home after she's gone to bed. And he left before she woke up this morning. Brad gets sad when he hasn't held his baby for over 24 hours. But...... it is perfect timing for Maggie and I to be visiting my sister and her family in St. George next week. He can work hard and late and not feel guilty for not being home. It is 70 degrees in St. George! Maggie has never seen the sun! I think she will like it. I am trying to make lists of what I need to pack in the suitcase, diaper bag, and carry on. I am paranoid I will forget something vital and be stranded on an airplane by myself with a baby, panicked. Hopefully the trip will go well. Otherwise I may not visit my other sister in April ;-) . Brad and I have never been apart for this long. I'm sure we will be okay. But I think it's going to be hard for him to not see the little one. She loves him.

We are already looking forward to April 15 and warmer weather! Until then, does anyone have a good book to suggest?


8 comments:

Liz Smith said...

One of my favorite books is The Kiterunner. Although, i will tell you that it's not a light, happy read, but it's not a difficult read either. It's about 2 little boys who are best friends that have grown up in afghanistan and it goes thru their lives and the war and whatnot. It's heartwrenching, but powerful. But don't read it if you're looking for light fun reading. :)

here's to the time between now and april 15th to fly by! at some point we need to start our pseudo book club. :D

Erin said...

so we should totally just hangout and watch gilmore girls!!! or watch chickflicks! when you get back of course! especially since your hubby is super busy!!! hope you have a great trip!!!

Jennie said...

Awh, I remember out first busy season, it is really tough. I hated those lonely nights. It gets easier, I promise. That is why we should live by each other so we can hang out while our husbands work late together :) Grant also hates coming home to Warren already being in bed. But it is better than keeping the baby up and having a super fussy baby and stressed Mom when they get home. I too started taking trips when Warren came. It is hard to be away from each other, but when busy season hits, it really is a good time. I already have my second busy season trips planned in August :)

Chelsea said...

Oh I am sorry he has to work so much, but I am glad you have Maggie as your buddy! I want April to come quickly as well so we can all wish for the same thing!

Kathy said...

I loved reading this, Ashley..

Kathryn Pepper said...

i liked The Time Traveler's Wife!

Bridget said...

What a sweet picture of the two of them together! Did I ever tell you how much I love the name Maggie by the way? Anyway, You guys sound like you are doing well. Dane and I still think about you guys and miss you. What part of Cali are you in again?

p.s. I am starting a new book right now called "360 degrees longitude". It is a travel log written by a father that took he two kids ages 11 and 8 around the entire world in 52 weeks. iT is a good read.

Ashley said...

I know the feeling of the hubby being gone all the time. But at least your having fun with Maggie! I am so jealous your going to be in warm weather soon. You will have a blast!